Sunday 30 November 2014

Of other low-tech


When I was studying photography at university there weren't a lot of women in the program. All the guys seemed to be in a competition to have the biggest, baddest, fastest camera possible. While I appreciated the shiney and new as much as the next gal and had my share, my interests were otherwise. I was fascinated by the old and the low tech and spent a lot of time experimenting with pinhole and toy cameras. Today, they are all the rage but back then it certainly wasn't! My fave class was Historical and Experimental Processes where we recreated the bygone techniques of early photography, even making our own photographic paper. Most of my work has continued in that vein.

Here is one printed on hand coated platinum paper (most photographic paper used silver) and then hand colored.

No comments: